Friday, January 11, 2013

Ridge Run County Park, West Bend WI


 Oh Mother Nature, the wonders you and Father Winter create together.

I love the out of doors.  I love the woods.  It is my place of rescue.  It saves my life so many times in so many ways.  I can't comprehend the thought of not having places such as this to 'run away' to.

Nor can my hiking buddy.


Yes, she loves to walk herself...and I love the attention she gets by doing it!!!
She is a January baby and you can tell it.

This is Ridge Run County Park in West Bend, Wisconsin.  It is a must hike place at any season.  I always always find something to smile about when I am there.  Winter and Fall are my favorite times for the serenity of it all.

Summer provides many opportunities of wildlife as the squirrels and chipmunks busily enjoy the bounties and deer watch until you come too near.  Mallards and geese enjoy the water ways from time to time. Turkeys will scare the you know what out of you.  It's amazing how such a large, klutzy looking bird can be so quiet until you are right on top of it. If you are lucky, you can enjoy the call of the Barred owls that frequent there and even luckier to catch a glimpse.

Fall brings absolutely awesome colors reflecting off the water.  A plethora of colorful leaves will mesmerize you as they float through and around the small waterfall that can be find just a short hike down the main trail that follows the creek.

Spring brings wildflowers...although not overly abundant...but refreshing to say the least and if you have a passion for those crazy mushrooms and brackets, you are bound to come across those also.

Bring your fishing pole and fish.  Skate during the winter or slide down the huge hill into the field where soccer normally would be played during the 'greener' times of the year.  There is a playground for the little ones...or the young at heart.  Rest rooms are well kept.  Pavilion areas can be rented for family reunions.

Walk to the marshier area that leads you across on a boardwalk and enjoy the antics and music of the frogs through spring summer and even into fall, or the colorful trees and cattails in autumn and snowy landscapes in the winter.
The trail is intermediate, I would say.  There are areas that are mostly flat but other areas that have some slight inclines and even inclines of 45 to 60 degrees maybe (sorry, not a good judge of that).  Regardless, there are benches throughout to rest and relax on while taking it all in.

Portions of the trail are the Ice Age Trail and it will also take you further back outside  the boundaries of the park along a ridge where you will also find a wood bridge.  If you have time and energy, it is definitely a trail to take.

Dogs are allowed on a leash but please, oh please, carry a bag to pick up what they..or you...might want to leave behind.  It is well worth a park to keep clean and enjoyable for all.

(I discovered this park during the first couple of weeks of my life here in Wisconsin back in 2004.  My brother introduced me to it and that very first time I walked the trail back towards the little waterfall, a family of three or four little raccoons walked right across the path in front of me.  I could say...'you had me at the raccoons'.  I visit it several times every year, every season...and am never disappointed.)



No comments:

Post a Comment