Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Horicon Marsh - Brownsville WI

I can't believe I haven't shared more on this spot with you.  My most favorite spot to visit that is close to home.   Horicon Marsh in Wisconsin.  A place of migrating birds. Herons that will literally stand and pose for you. Sunsets and sunrises to die for.  Ducks of all kinds.  Cranes.  Sandhill Cranes and if you are lucky, a quick view of the few visiting Whooping Cranes from time to time.

The boardwalk is wonderful and will change each and every year. Some years the waters will offer all kinds of waterfowls.  Some years there will be more cattails than water.  During drought periods you can enjoy a variety of wading birds, plovers, and herons as well as frogs.
The Pied Billed Grebe is one of my favorites that I know I can depend on seeing regardless of the time of year or condition of the waters.  There is always one somewhere to be found.  It's awesome to be able to watch them pluck one leg a a time off of a crawfish before they dine on it.
White Pelicans.  Another of my all time favorite...a sentimental value to my lost sister.  Entertaining and beautiful in everything they do.
The sandhill crane, increasing rapidly in population.  VIsit in the fall and you will find areas that are just covered with them just prior or during fall migration.  Remember the days when they were also so rare. Hopefully some day..the whooping will be just as abundant.


The Bobolink...what a wonderful tuxedo they wear for us.  A very difficult, constantly in motion little bird. A definite requirement for a long lense and lots of patience.
Teals...mostly blue winged but sightings of the Greens can be found in the spring.
Eagle, old and young. This juvenile was very active during the Bird Festival that is held in May every year.   A wonderful experience that everyone should enjoy.
The Dickcissle.  Listen to it's wonderful song.  This one sat for me for a long time on a windy day.  I was pleased to have captured it at a point when the wind gave up for a second.
Ah, yes...the American Bittern.  What an amazing imitator.  Trying to look like a blade of grass or a dead branch...blending in to the surroundings.  This one I found on a hot summer, dry day when I thought for sure there would be nothing to see in the Marsh.  I think it was right around my birthday and I needed my daily drive to escape from the horrors of work.  This guy did it for me.

If you watch closely and know where to look, the Least Bittern can be found.  For me, it was like finding gold when I discovered them.
A sunset.  A breathe of fresh air.

Sigh.
Time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment