Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Weekend Walk at the Marsh - 130907

Yes, you will get to know this marsh - Horicon Marsh, through my eyes, my lens, quite often.  It is my place of 'peace'.  It surprises me every time I go.

Normally I am here once a week, except this year.  Despite my schedules that have kept me away, I got really depressed with the marsh early on this year because, whether it be the lack of rain or the decisions of the 'marsh people', there is little water there this year.  It has resulted in a lack of waterfowl and other water birds that I always enjoy going to hunt for...through my binoculars, in hopes of seeing that infrequent American Bittern, Black Necked Stilt, White Pelicans and Bald Eagles, young and adult.

It kept me away.

But I should know better.

Many a trip I have made out there just to get away, thinking all the way there that I am wasting gas..there isn't going to be anything there today, this time of year (whatever time it is, hot dry summer, cold winter day)...just to be totally surprised...normally close to the end of my visit when I am about to give up and 'poof', just like that,  I sight a rail, an American bittern...or even the more rare Least Bittern.

Hurriedly trying to get my 500mm out to try to get a shot, I just know it will be gone before I can.  Normally, I get some type of shot, normally not one to win a contest on....but good enough to make 'me' happy.To add to my photographic bird list.

So....mad a t the world about some silly thing last weekend, I piled every piece of camera equipment I own into the 4 Runner followed by my companion, Lexi with her leash carried in her mouth....off we went to take a stroll on a half way decently warm fall like day...through the marsh.

There are many roads that you can take to get to different parts of the marsh.  Some I hardly ever frequent.  Others I frequent quite often.  We wanted to hike this time though so I parked in one of the parking lots on the auto tour route and we got out to see if the boardwalk and surrounding woods would greet us with something new and different.

Not much on the wildlife end except endless Mallards, a few grebes, and coots, but instead we enjoyed the beginning of the fall color change and what was left of the summer wildflowers and beautiful reflections throughout.

The trails through the woods had the fragrance that always brings back memories of discoveries of my childhood in the woods of New Hampshire.

There was only one big group of white pelicans which were way too far off for anyone to even know that is what they were.  I miss the pelicans this year.  I do.

I was able to grab a shot of the ever famous marsh hunter and fisher...the Great Blue Heron, feeding on carp. This alone..was a life revitalizing event for me...although not so much for that little fat fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment